Vera Water and Power was organized in the early 1900s by a small group of land developers. They bought 2,500 acres in the Spokane Valley, breaking it up into 10-acre tracts. Vera was formed to provide irrigation water and domestic water to these orchards.
Originally, Vera purchased its power from the electric railroad that ran from downtown to Liberty Lake. Then, Vera purchased power from Washington Water Power. In the mid-1930s, Vera reorganized as an irrigation district, making Vera a public agency instead of a privately-owned corporation.
On Jan. 1, 1946, Vera signed on as a customer of the Bonneville Power Administration to take advantage of the low-cost power generated by the Columbia River dams.
Our 100-year anniversary was celebrated on April 25, 2008.
From 1907-1908, Vera's No. 1 Well was dug by hand, providing irrigation and domestic water to small farms and mini orchards in Spokane Valley. The No. 1 Well still provides 3,000 gallons of water per minute to Vera's system when required.