We are currently accepting applications for meter reader/collector. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Position description: Meter Reader/Collector
Effective date: Oct. 24, 2018
Reports to: Assistant General Manager
Supervises directly: Not applicable
Supervises through subordinates: Not applicable currently.
Purpose for the position: Meter reading/Door-to-door collections/Service disconnects
- Walks or drives established route and obtains water and electric readings. Records the meter readings using a handheld device and/or paper service orders generated from the closings and billing departments.
- Performs door-to-door collections, service disconnections and reconnections.
- Inspects meters and connections for defects, damage and unauthorized connections. Indicates irregularities on forms for necessary action by service department.
- Responsible for taking mail to U.S. post office.
- Responsible for washing dishes throughout the office building.
- Regularly clean assigned vehicles inside and out.
- May assist in cleaning and maintaining the inside of the office building and all other shops using equipment and chemical cleaning supplies
- May assist front office in processing customer payments and inputting them into the computer system.
- Answer incoming phone calls using a pleasant tone of voice and excellent listening skills. Take messages and directs calls.
- Possible data entry in various areas throughout the company.
- May assist in flagging and helping the water and electric crew.
- May assist in electric meter change outs.
- May assist in placing new frequencies in meters.
- Responsible for locking Yard 6 and checking all doors at the end of working hours at 601 N. Evergreen
- Assist in setting up board room furniture for meetings
To do this work, you must be able to:
- Use personal judgments and known facts to make decisions and deal with problems.
- Use landscaping and heavy equipment.
- Use building maintenance cleaning equipment and chemicals.
- Assist in answering phone calls from customers.
- Use arithmetic to keep records.
- See small print and figures on computer screens etc.
- Handle customer requests in a cordial manner.
- Have proficiency in using computer.
- Lifting 70 lbs. and occasionally carrying objects of 25 lbs.
- Seeing, hearing, speaking.
- Requires significant walking or standing.
- Climbing, balancing, bending stooping.
Inside: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
Outside: No effective protection from weather. This job is considered “outside”.
Requires math development enough to be able to: Add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure.
Must have developed language skills to be able to speak clearly and distinctly with appropriate pauses, emphasis and correct pronunciation. Read instructions, rules, etc., looking up unfamiliar words for meaning, spelling and pronunciation.
Write sentences, using legible handwriting, proper end punctuation and employing adjectives and adverbs.
Relationship to data, people and things:
DATA: Copying, transcribing entering or posting data. Forwarding data to proper department.
PEOPLE: Speaking-Signaling: taking with/and or signaling people to convey or exchange information. Includes giving assignments and or directions to helpers or assistants and giving instruction.
THINGS: Handling, using body members, hand tools and/or special devices to work, move or carry objects or materials.
Specific vocational preparation:
Includes occupationally significant combination of: vocational education, apprentice training, in-plant training, on-the-job training, or essential experience in less responsible jobs which lead to a higher job or serving in other jobs.
Over three months and including six months.
TO DO THIS JOB, YOU MUST HAVE:
Valid Washington State Driver’s License and is insurable to drive district vehicles.
Requires High school diploma or valid G.E.D.; some post high school desired such as some college or technical school or comparable on-the-job work experience