Prepare for an outage
Our goal is to limit the number and length of outages you experience, but sometimes outages are unavoidable. Service can be interrupted due to weather, equipment, animals, trees or people.
During a prolonged or widespread power outage, having an emergency preparedness kit could help make this experience more comfortable. With the help of the American Red Cross, we've put together this list for your kit.
• Water: one gallon per person, per day
• Food: non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items
• Flashlight: avoid candles and flames to prevent fires
• Extra batteries
• First aid kit: include medications and required medical items
• Portable Radio: hand-crank or battery operated
• Multipurpose tool: can opener, screwdriver
• Phone: Cellphone with charger and/or non-cordless telephone (hard-wired traditional phone)
• Contact information: for your family and emergency services
• Backup power: for any life support medical equipment requiring electricity