Can I receive a copy of a public record?


Typically, we must respond to any public records request within five days. However, Gov. Jay Inslee’s emergency COVID-19 proclamation waives this requirement.  Therefore, during this pandemic, when we receive a public information request, we will attempt to respond within five days. However, since we are obeying the Governor’s order to stay home and stay safe, no one is physically at the Vera Water and Power office to search for written records. Those responses will be delayed until the emergency order has expired.

Yes, you may receive a copy of a public record. Depending on how you would like to receive it, fees may apply.

Cost of paper copies

There is no fee for inspecting public records; however, the district charges the rate currently allowable by R.C.W. 56.120, as amended, if no calculation is made of the actual cost per page for a standard black and white photocopy of a record selected by the requestor. Before beginning to make copies, the public records officer or designee may require a deposit of up to 10 percent of the estimated costs of copying all the records selected by the requestor. The public records officer may also require the payment of the remainder of the copying costs before providing all the records, or the payment of the costs of copying an installment before providing that installment. The district will not charge sales tax when it makes copies of records.

Cost for electronic records

The cost of electronic copies of records shall be the cost of the electronic media, such as CD, DVD, etc.

Cost of mailing

The district may also charge actual costs of mailing, including the cost of the shipping container.

Nonstandard copies

Nonstandard copies including, but not limited to, oversize copies, color copies, engineering drawings, and photographs shall be at cost. If a vendor is used to provide the copies, the actual cost charged by the vendor shall be paid by the requestor and it may be arranged for the requestor to pay the vendor directly. An outside vendor may charge sales tax.


Payment shall be made by cash, check or money order to the district. No sales tax shall be charged by the district on copies it makes.

Related Articles