4 ways to prevent frozen pipes
Water expands when it freezes and can stress your water pipes, causing them to burst. Here are four ways to help prevent this problem.
1. Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in your garage.
2. Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing.
3. Let cold water drip from exposed pipes. Even a trickle helps prevent pipes from freezing. We recommend running a pencil lead size stream of water.
4. Keep your thermostat at the same setting day and night.
Protect your water meter to keep it from freezing.
It’s not just your water pipes that can freeze. Be sure to protect your water meter, too. By taking these steps now, you could avoid trouble later.
- Water meter insulation blanket: Cover your water meter with a foam insulation blanket. The blankets—which are easy to install—are free and available at our office.
- Water meter vault cover: The vault cover must be in place. If the cover is missing, broken or cracked, call us at 888-774-8272 for help. We sell replacements.