Why does the power go out?
Our goal is to limit the number and length of power outages, but sometimes they’re unavoidable:
- Weather – lightning, ice, wind, snow, etc., may affect our equipment
- Equipment – sometimes equipment may fail due to normal wear and tear. Faulted cables also may result from underground lines
- Animals – when animals make contact with an energized line, it causes the protective device to shut off power
- Trees – fallen trees or branches can damage equipment
- People – cars hitting poles, vandalism, etc., can cause outages